neon

log of project where a computer system is integrated into a 1997 neon

Thursday, August 11, 2005

One 1.1 steps forward 1 step back

Do you believe in karma or some other notion of blanace in the universe? Well I am beginning to view this xbox project as having something to do with forces that are well beyond my control. Well almost beyond my control.

So I have 3 xboxes currently.

1. Version 1.6 hardware modded
2. Version 1.0 software modded (requires a DVD rom)
3. Version 1.0 newest guy, no working power, no DVD, hard drive is locked to wrong eprom, flashing red and green due to failed mod

So my tales thus far have been documented with #3. Now that I list all of these items out #3 was s truely messed up machine. Here is what I did to bring this back to life.

1. Borrow a DVD rom and power supply from #2.
2. Install a pinheader (pulled from and old motherboard) and D0 trace wire for a mod chip
3. Borrow mod chip from xbox #1
4. Lock new 80 gig hard drive to xbox #3

Here is the new part
5. Flash onboard TSOP with new bios such that the DVD check is no longer performed!

So at this stage in the game. All that this xbox really needed was a new power supply. Then however, I pushed my luck one big step too far.

I decided, hey wouldn't it be cool to also have xbox #2 not require a DVD and flash its TSOP. Well I soldered the jumpers to enable TSOP write, ftped my bios, flashed the ROM and - DEATH!!!

The bios must not have transfered properly. SHIT. When you flash that TSOP incorrectly you are totallly screwed. Short of soldering 29 wires to the board to enable TSOP writing, the only solution now is to chip that xbox as the exteral chip will act as the bios.

So here is the new required setup:
1. Xbox 1.6 softmodded, requires DVD
2. Xbox 1.0 totally fried TSOP, requires hardware mod chip
3. Xbox 1.0 custom bios

What a learning experience this has been. Moral of the story, always transfer stuff in BIN mode when ftp'ing and always try and software load your bios before you flash a TSOP for christ sake.

4 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Anonymous hardware reviews said...

Love the blog! This is my new favorite, you took over my previous favorite site: hardware reviews

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger superduperone said...

Hey,

Your site is looking Pretty good. I like it.

I have a new site that focuses on Tech Reviews, RMA Reviews, and more.

You should check it out.

##Link## Reviews

Ciao,

Ravi

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous electronics reviews said...

Hey,

Your site is looking Pretty good. I like it.

I have a new site that focuses on Tech Reviews, RMA Reviews, and more.

You should check it out.

##Link## Reviews

Ciao,

Ravi

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous hardware reviews said...

Hey,

Your site is looking Pretty good. I like it.

I have a new site that focuses on Tech Reviews, RMA Reviews, and more.

You should check it out.

##Link## Reviews

Ciao,

Ravi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home